To mark the Quincentenary of the foundation of the Royal Grammar School, the installation of a beautiful stained glass panel in the west staircase of the Old Building was completed this month. Nye Saunders assisted with obtaining Listed Building Consent for the alteration.
The first part of Royal Grammar School’s Old Building to the south (rear) was built in 1557, with windows inserted in 1582 and the building completed in 1586. Historic England quote the building as ‘An important historical landmark in the upper part of Guildford High Street.’ Sadly, a fire swept through the Old Building in December 1962 causing widespread damage resulting in the loss of medieval/renaissance period glass from the west staircase windows which were repaired at that time with contemporary plain glass and this new installation is a welcome addition.
Within the new window pane the Royal Grammar School logo is displayed in a banner above with the words ‘Royal Grammar School, Quincentenary,1509 – 2009’ and the dedication ‘Given by John A Simpson, The First RGS Director of Studies’ appears in a small pane lower down.
Heritage hand blown glass was used in the new panel with the Tudor Rose & Crown in coloured glass and the work was carried out by Ken Morland of Surrey Stained Glass.