Arthur Edward Ford Saunders 1924 to 2020 OBITUARY
The practice directors were sad to hear of the recent passing away of one of the founding partners Arthur Saunders. Arthur died peacefully on April 6th at Hartwood House, Lyndhurst.
Arthur was a true Guildfordian, born in Weston Road in 1924. He attended the Royal Grammar School Guildford.
During the Second World War Arthur was a Captain in 114th Field Regiment, Burma. He trained as an architect and set up his own practice which for many years was based in Denmark Road in Guildford. His most well-known design being the Methodist church on Woodbridge Road which has only recently been demolished.
In 1971 his practice merged with that of another well-known local architect David Evelyn Nye to form Nye, Saunders & Partners. That practice was based for many years in Trinity Churchyard Guildford and latterly in Wonersh, Cranleigh and is now in Church Street, Godalming. Arthur personally designed many of the replacement parsonages in Guildford Diocese built during the 1970’s and 80’s.
Arthur was for many years Surveyor to the fabric of Guildford Cathedral, the appointed Diocesan Surveyor to the Guildford Diocesan Parsonages Board and held Inspecting Architect appointments ‘looking after’ numerous churches in the Guildford and Southwark dioceses.
Arthur was a passionate sportsman and a member of Blackheath Cricket Club for many years. He was also a member of the County Club in Guildford.
In 1952 he married Irene May Allison, they lived near Chilworth for 34 years and latterly at the School House, Shackleford. Arthur leaves two devoted daughters Allison & Emma and four grandchildren.